My First (Dresden Plate)
did a sewing room swap where you picked someone's name and anonymously made them a gift for their sewing room. I'm usually more into the
part of this kind of thing (hello, Secret Santa) since it involves my two favorite things: getting creative and surprising people. But in a swap with these talented ladies I must admit I was selfishly much more excited about what I was going to
. I was not disappointed!
One of the suggestions I'd given my giver was a knitting needle organizer. I've bought material specifically for this project twice, but never got around to designing or making anything. This has been my system since I bought my first pair of needles seven years ago:
I was lucky enough to have my name picked by the amazing and talented
, and knew before opening it that this was going to be so much better than anything I'd make for myself.
The back has this lovely umbrella material and my NAME, which as you all know, if you've seen my next generation quilts, is one of my favorite things to include on a handmade gift. So I loved that, especially since it was in my favorite color.
The inside had more fabric from the same April Showers line - originally from Seattle, anything with a rain/umbrella motif will always remind me of home. Since knitting is really a cold and rainy day activity, it felt particularly appropriate.
It took me about two seconds to fill this up and discover I had as many as three sets of the same size needle - now I know exactly what I have and will never buy another duplicate. And how nice that there's space for the long needles and right below, the double-pointeds? You'd think she was a knitter. Everything I wanted to, fit, including the crochet hooks and stitch holders. Thanks so much Hema!
My recipient had no requests in terms of object or color, so I got to do whatever I wanted. I had never heard of thread catchers until I saw them at Quilt Camp, and immediately wanted one (so everyone else must too, right?).
They're like little trash cans you can hang off your sewing table for when you clip threads/corners so your floor doesn't look like mine. I decided to use
, and was pretty happy with how it came out. My only complaint is that you're supposed to use glue in several different sections when sewing wasn't that hard and made it so much nicer. I ended up only using glue to attach the rubber shelving mat on the bottom, and even that I'd sew on next time.
This was a May project so I was feeling summer and went with yellow and this corn/sunflower fabric that I bought too much of at Marden's ($2.99 a yard!). I don't even like yellow that much, but I like it here - and since it turns out my recipient lives in Florida most of the time...
The top is a pin-cushion topped with a mini-dresden plate, which I'd never tried before. It was totally quick and easy and made me want to make a whole quilt of them.
The pin cushion is velcro-d to the stability tile, so you can detach it if you need it elsewhere:
I was very happy with what I gave and got, can't go wrong in a swap!